List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Press Announcement for KDE 3.4
From:       Achim Woessner <boldii () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-02-01 19:21:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

so we already have end of January and so it is time for me to present the
press announcement in a more or less ready state. It isn't php yet, I will
do that as soon as possible and for sure before the release of 3.4 ;) The
"Highlights At A Glance" will be sorted of course, but I wanted you to have
a look on what I have done so far.
OK, so I hope you like it, critic is very welcome and I will do my best to
improve the announcement. I hope you enjoy reading it.

Cheers,
Achim Woessner

PS: I am sorry if it isn't that good now but I had some troubles managing my
time during the last month.

---

Announcing KDE 3.4

KDE Project ships a new major release with lots of improvements for disabled
people.

March $day, 2005 (The Internet) - After more then a half year of development
the KDE Project is happy to be able to announce a new major release of the
award-winning K Desktop Environment. Among many other improvents the
accessibility can convince with important new features.

The accessibility package has now some really important new features
for partially sighted people. The KDE Text-to-Speech system is new in KDE
3.4 and allows applications, like KSayIt, an application that reads out
longer texts, speech output. Not only does this mean better support for
visually-impaired and speech-impaired users, but the new features should
also prove for a fun desktop experience overall.

As the team of people working on KDE is international there are currently 79
translations of KDE 3.4 available. No other desktop can compete with that
many translations, and so KDE 3.4 serves best the needs of today's world
wide Linux community.

Highlights At A Glance

KDE Text-to-Speech System (ktts)
important additions to KMouth
KPDF now supports PDF 1.5
KPDF hat xpdf 3.0 rendering engine
KPDF Support for password protected PDFs
KPDF Extraction of Pictures and text out of PDF Files
Completely redesigned, more flexible trash system.
Support for Exchange 2000, OpenGroupware, Kolab 1 and 2, SLOX, Groupwise und
eGroupware
better synchronization between 2 PCs
Kopete supports Novell Groupwise and Lotus Sametime
Kopete gets integrated into Kontact
NetMeeting-Plug-In allows to start a chat out of any application.
drag and drop of files and contacts
The RSS Reader Akregator is new in KDE Pim
Support for album covers in JuK
KMail now supports KWallet
Password dialog gives feedback on the relative strength of new passwords.
Kicker with improved look and feel
KHTML plug-ins are now configurable, so the user can selectively disable
ones that are not used. This does not include Netscape-style plug-ins.
Netscape plug-in in CPU usage can be manually lowered, and plug-ins are more
stable.
more than $bugsfixed have been fixed
more than $ffwishes wishes have been fullfilled

Getting KDE 3.4

As KDE is free software it is available at no cost. You can get it trough
various methods. Most likely you want to download
the ready for use packages for your distribution. Just have a look on
download.kde.org. The source code is also available there. KDE 3.4 will
also be featured in future releases of many Linux and UNIX operating
systems and can be purchased on CD-ROM.
If you want to build the packages from source you could check out Konstruct
(http://developer.kde.org/build/konstruct/index.html), a tool that helps you
with downloading, configuring, building and installing KDE 3.4.

You can download other free KDE programs from KDE-Apps
(http://www.kde-apps.org)

Supporting KDE

KDE is an open source project that lives from the help of volunteers. You
can do more than you maybe think you can. All contribution is appreciated,
no matter if you contribute time, money or anything else. Read through the
Supporting KDE page (http://www.kde.org/support/) for further information.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!