List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Strategic Planning Framework
From:       Steven William Giacomelli <steve () orplex ! com>
Date:       2004-12-19 3:13:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On December 18, 2004 08:48 pm, Tom Chance wrote:
> On Saturday 18 Dec 2004 21:42, Steven William Giacomelli wrote:
> > A) Mission/Vision/Objectives
> > This defines who the KDE project is -- why it exists -- what it hopes to
> > accomplish -- etc
>
> [...]
>
> > The first step according to this framework is to define the
> > Mission/Vision/Objectives of the KDE project and this can best be done in
> > manifesto form since the KDE project is a community that should have its
> > principles codified and rationalized in an agreed upon form -- i'm not
> > talking about re-inventing the KDE project only brining ideas together in
> > one formal document.
> >
> > This is why i feel a mission statement is the first step towards the
> > development of any plan and why the community must "clarify" it.
>
> The KDE Project exists to create a good Free Software desktop environment.
> This can be subdivided into connected aims related to the product
> (involving such subjective terms as power, usability, accessibility, and so
> on) and the community (involving licensing, development and governance
> techniques).

A mission statement is more a reason de-etre -- such as for the police "To
protect and serve"

I suggested previously that a mission statement for kde could be phrased as

"To create, maintain, improve and promote KDE and related software using the
bazaar model with the aim to provide the best free and opensource software
avaliable. With the long term goal through KDE to promote and develop a
community of users and developers to further the mainstream adoption and
development of free and opensource software and platforms.

but again that would have to be clarified by the "community"

> Is that the sort of thing you're looking for? Either way, is this the
> appropriate place to discuss this? In fact, where is the appropriate place?
> I'm guessing people will say a list like kde-devel or kde-ev-membership...

I'm not sure where the right place to ask this or discuss this is, but before
any real promotional planning can be done with respect to strategy there has
to be a framework in place within KDE that clarifies the
Mission\Vision\Objects of KDE and provides a competitive position and
competitive advantage that auxiulary planning, such as promotional can be
taken from -- Coming up with tactics is fine but to be successful in the long
term there has to be a strategy in place that it tactics can be related back
to or you are all over the place -- The Romans took over the world because
they understood strategy -- everybody else knew just tactics..

I'm new to KDE and my main area of interest is communications and promotional
planning (there are four basic componets of marketing Product, Place
(Distribution), Price and Promotion) -- and it is impossible to do go
promotions if there is no strategy in place either for marketing or overall.

I don't want to "rewrite" anything or "reinvent" anything but i can act as a
facilitator to help bring this together and to crystallize the overall
strategy -- in which case i would need a mandate from the core developers to
do so -- and to know who the core developers are and engage them in
conversation to try to bring this together. I don't mind taking a leadership
role but i would need a mandate for that -- and i don't mind playing my part
undersome one else's direction but i would have to know who is taking the
leadership role and how i can help.

Steven Giacomelli