List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Competitor Review
From:       "steve () orplex ! com" <steve () orplex ! com>
Date:       2004-12-11 19:20:22

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Stephan Binner binner@kde.org
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 20:14:13 +0100
To: kde-promo@kde.org

On Saturday 11 December 2004 18:59, steve@orplex.com wrote:

> A value judgement would be this is "garbage"

[How is "garbage" much different from your "immature" judgement?]

See bottom

> Gnome doesnt really list features -- they list their goals

[I'm not sure that I understand your intention with this document. It says
it's
supposed to look at "what competitors are saying". Then you dismiss most of
it as "only goal" or "interpretable" or as not for you 'measurable'
feature.]

The idea is to understand what features they highlight in an effort to see
the relative strengths and weaknesses of KDE as compared to Gnome.

Knowing Gnomes goals is soemthing that adds to their Competitive Position

What features they highlight shows where they feel they are strongest

> Usable

[GNOME "focuses on two areas — Accessibility and Internationalization." -
that
is simply incomplete and shows you don't know GNOME. They always emphasize
and
focus usability, eg
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.8/notes/rnlookingahead.html]

I never said I was a GNOME or OpenSource expert -- as I said in my
introductions to this mail-list I'm new to the OpenSource world -- and i in
no way pretend to be an expert on GNOME or KDE or OpenSource in general --
my skill set is mostly focused around marketing -- if you dont agree with
my assesments -- great -- let me know why and how i can bring together the
info better to get a better picture.

Steven Giacomelli