List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Leaflet and Press Dossier
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-12-10 15:58:45

On Friday 10 Dec 2004 14:39, Fabrice Mous wrote:
> On Friday 10 December 2004 13:06, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> > An ideal Press dossier would have
> >
> > - a cardboard color jacket that we could reuse
> > - the press dossier could be two colors (blue for the KDE Logo + black)
> > - the leaflet
> > - A Knoppix with the press dossier in HTML /  PDF format + a KPresenter
> > presentation of KDE
> > - A small Knoppix manual
>
> A good idea! But I think that we don't have a one-suits-all kind of press
> dossier. For example when I go to community events I have a different \
> kind of "dossier" then when I go to a business type event.
>
> I agree on the cardboard (color) jacket because that way you can change
> easily change the content accordingly to your audience. Please be aware
> that Tom Chance also made some press packages at aKademy.
>
> At the Netherlands we have a somewhat different way of collecting \
> material for press people. We have the section "mediakit" which contains \
> screenshots (for articles) (not finished apparently) [6] and some cool \
> and important pressreleases [7] in the PDF file format .
>
> [6] http://www.kde.nl/mediakit/screenshots/
> [7] http://www.kde.nl/mediakit/persberichten/

Yes indeedy, a press dossier with 25/35 pages of in-depth information on \
all  aspects of the KDE project is *not* what we want to be handing \
journalists!

The ideal press dossier will contain:

- Some brief information related to KDE and the event where it's being \
used.  At aKademy we had a one page overview of the conference, one page \
detailing  the sub-events, and one page describing the organisers and \
sponsors.

- Some brief information about KDE in general. This can include a \
screenshot  or two, but the journalist isn't going to scan it for an \
article!

- Any interesting recent press releases... very important that these are
professional and properly done (i.e. not just an announcement copied from \
the  dot)

- A list of press contacts, and where journalists can find more materials
(like logos, screenshots, etc).

- A very good LiveCD. Personally I think handing out Knoppix to journalists \
 who aren't from very techie magazines is a *bad* idea because it looks
confusing, unprofessional and gimmicky. If there is a LiveCD that just \
loads  up a clean KDE desktop with a handful of the *best* *desktop* \
applications  installed, and no more, then that'd be good to hand out.

The whole thing shouldn't be longer than ten pages, and for events like \
expos  only five pages or so. No journalist, unless they're already really
interested in KDE, is going to read a short book. If they want more info, \
the  press dossier will direct them to the web site and to the press \
contacts. And  then there are the KDE representatives on hand at the event.

So... what we really need here is for the Dutchies, who are so far ahead of \
 everyone else, to provide a template that national or continental teams \
can  then customise for each event.

Regards,
Tom