List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Competitor Review
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-10 10:30:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 10 December 2004 03:31, Steven Giacomelli wrote:
> I've completed a basic review of the KDE competitors
>
> It needs more work as highlighted in the draft document.
>
> I'm interested in what people have to say so we can make this review
> more complete and useful

I think it might be interesting to look at the DE on one hand and it's
application on the other hand. Especially with KDE and GNOME where it is
possible at relative little cost to run applications from the other
environment. Note also that applications like OpenOffice are not tied to a
single DE. In that regard I think that strengths can be classified in 3
categories: "DE strengths", "application strengths", "integration strengths".
The latter representing the advantages that you get by running KDE
applications on a KDE desktop (the "home field" advantage)

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download