List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Licensing (Was: [kde-promo] What's the community up to?)
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-08 12:55:56

On Wednesday, 8. December 2004 11:03, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 December 2004 02:59, Steven Giacomelli wrote:
> > [..]
> >
> > Maybe it's time for a "KDE for Windows" initiative
>
> It's there already, http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net

This is one project. There are others. We are missing some coordinated effort.
And personally I think cygwin is not the way to go, we need a native Windows
version (and with native Qt on Windows we are only a little step away).

> Jaroslaw Staniek <js@iidea.pl> is working hard to get his fixes for Windows
> in KDE CVS at the moment.

Is this related to the kde-cygwin project? I was under the impression that
this is a separate project.

> > Thats a non-starter -- KDE is a Unix\Linux DE focusing on a windows
> > version would not serve the goals of the organization and would only
> > take resources away from the project as a whole.

KDE is much more than a Unix/Linux Desktop Environment. It has lots of great
applications which certainly would also benefit Windows users. How do you
come to the conclusion that this would not work? If we would run on Windows
we could attract Windows developers. There are plenty of them, so if only a
very small percentage of them would join the project we would get more
resources than before.