List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Licensing (Was: [kde-promo] What's the community up to?)
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-07 21:04:47

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 17:16, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> Can you follow my arguments, if I say, that if there were a binary-only
> version of the Qt/Win-library (without headers and tools) for free download
> and use, than it would be ok to link GPL software?

No, I don't see how to that matters.

> And BTW, the Qt library is distributed along the designer which is like a
> compiler. Is this similar to the msvcrt example?

component (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system"? I would say
no.

> Or would we run into another FSF-doesn't-like-us nightmare, which is of
> course something we don't want?

Based on the text of the GPL and the Licensing FAQ on the FSF website I would
say that the FSF did not intent to allow this kind of use. Legally you may be
able to get away with it, with some creative reading, but I don't think it's
smart to position ourself against the FSF. There is of course always the
option of asking the FSF themselves their opinion on the matter.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download