List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       Alex Nordstrom <alexander.nordstromDONT_CC_ME () tpg ! com ! au>
Date:       2004-12-05 17:30:42

On Sunday, 5 Dec 2004 22:09, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> [Steven Giacomelli, Samstag, 4. Dezember 2004 03:01]
>
> > * Sun's Java Desktop
>
> But Sun's Java Desktop contains KDE applications:

It seems appropriate to clarify that "competition" in a SWOT context
does not mean "nasty, evil entity with which we have nothing in common,
with which we do not cooperate, which we are trying to destroy, and
which is trying to destroy us". It simply means those enterprises
trying to benefit from the same resources and markets that we try to
benefit from in order to achieve our goals.

Competition is not opposition. If cooperating with a competitor helps
you achieve your goal, you do. That's true for any business. It just so
happens that KDE benefits more than perhaps most enterprises from
cooperating with the competition in certain ways because its goals are
inherently cooperative.

Still, the same principles apply. If for some reason ensuring KDE
programs worked in some other desktop environment would lead to the
likely demise of KDE and the failure of its interests to be observed,
would it still be done? No, of course not. The rational reason for
cooperating with the Gnome camp is not because they're nice chaps, but
because doing so furthers the goals of KDE (in no small part because
KDE and Gnome share some goals and ideals).

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/