List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-05 13:37:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 04 December 2004 07:33, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> [...]

Sun and Gnome are important competitors because they are positioned very much
in the same market as KDE. In particular, KDE competes with GNOME for
developer mind share. Sun isn't so much a direct competitor as well as an
indirect competitor: Sun competes with companies that are more supportive of
KDE (supportive as in "contributing to KDE development")

In a way, Sun and Gnome also compete with each other, even though JDS is based
on Gnome, Sun doesn't really acknowledge that in its marketing, so brand wise
JDS and Gnome are distinct (From the Gnome side people try to identify Gnome
with JDS in order to benefit from Sun's marketing of JDS)

What I consider a problem with marketing KDE is that KDE is not a complete
solution. KDE in itself doesn't compete with JDS, MacOS X or MS Windows, the
combination KDE+Linux does (and there is also KDE+FreeBSD, which tends to add
extra complication). Gnome faces a similar problem.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org   |   Free Novell Linux Desktop 9 Evaluation Download