List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Marketing Plan
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-12-04 2:11:37

On Friday 03 Dec 2004 23:28, Steven Giacomelli wrote:
> One thing to keep in mind is to take into account the audience receiving
> the message -- promoting KDE to the general computer user audience means
> using or find terms that are easily understandable to the average user.

Absolutely. But you need also to bear one thing in mind: the average KDE
promoter is technically minded. Most of the high quality promotion work seems
to be done by core developers or members of some of the national /
continental sub-groups like KDE-NL. So it's worth asking volunteers to
consider their audience, along with considerations of style, clarity, tone
and so on, but you can't expect it, nor base a strategy on such an
expectation.

So when you're working in the strategy, it's important to take this
demographic into account. You'll have to ensure that you develop a list of
tasks that suits the volunteers, and that gives opportunities for people who
aren't yet involved but that could be*. Or at least your strategy needs to
allow for that.

To be really obvious about this, you shouldn't suggest that KDE does more of
any particular task. Rather you should suggest the kinds of tasks that the
KDE community could do. You document those tasks, allowing for a little
flexibility so people can make each task their own, and then when a volunteer
comes along you can talk them into picking one of them up.

You're probably considering all of this already, but I thought I'd dump some
more thoughts on you :)

Regards,
Tom

* I personally think there's a lot of potential for people to do media work
for KDE. There are lots of people doing their own reviews, and even a few
people contacting journalists about KDE news trying to drum up interest. It'd
be great if KDE could bring these people together.