List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] What is the goal of dot.kde.org?
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-11-08 11:09:51

On Sunday 07 Nov 2004 18:47, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Now, assume you had a hard core of volunteers who did whatever the mob
> said.  What kind of product are you going to end up with?  One based
> on the lowest common denominator?  Really, it is not so obvious or
> simple.  If the mob had to decide on CORBA vs DCOP or GVFS vs KIO,
> where would the KDE project end up?
>
> Is the mob going to be receptive to new, shocking, ideas at first?  I
> would guess not.  And if not, is there really no value in such ideas?
>
> As far as I know, in most KDE projects, the people who do the work,
> and are qualified to, make the decisions.  If your idea is so obvious
> then maybe all KDE projects should adopt it.

You can't compare the KDE development model with a media outlet in that way.
When it comes to development, generally speaking the developer who does the
work decides because there is not right/wrong, only good and better code.

And as Scott has pointed out, where this doesn't apply, where there are
development issues that are more complex than good or better code, developers
have to discuss things and try to reach a consensus before making "policy".

And then there are even development decisions where I think it's reasonable to
take input from the wider KDE community. For the most part this happens
automatically, through Bugzilla and developers simply being receptive to
things that people want (e.g. integration issues). I happen to think more
informal consultation would be good... it's something we tried with the
Quality Teams but never got off the ground due to lack of volunteers.

Anyway, veering away from this for the moment...

> If they don't want to be here, then obviously they can't or won't make
> even the most basic commitment.

Subscribing to a mailing list is *not* a basic commitment for most people.
This is something that we *must* come to terms with. Most of the readers of
the Dot won't make that commitment, and we shouldn't exclude them on this
basis. Having a "debate" on what the Dot is there for amongst a few people on
this mailing list does *not* constitute a community decision.

A professional media outlet will combine market research with experienced
editorial control. The Dot doesn't have these resources, but it is part of a
community-minded project. So it makes sense, IMO, to find community-oriented
ways of determining what the readers want.

And veering away one more time...

> The dot is doing alright without interference.  It can however be
> improved.  Politics is not what is going to improve the dot.  What is
> going to improve the dot is more quality content contributed in a
> timely manner.  This means work.  Real work as opposed to posturing.

A media outlet whose editorial policy is bunk won't attract quality content. A
media outlet whose guiding policies exclude issues that are popular with the
readership and deemed "on-topic" for the community won't attract writers. A
media outlet whose content is generally of a low quality won't attract
quality writers.

Politics *and* real work will determine how good the Dot is.

Anyway, bringing these three threads of thought together, if community
consultation is something that KDE already does on an ad-hoc basis, and if it
is something that the Dot ought to do both to preserve quality, topicality
and popularity, then the only reason not to do it is volunteer time.

I can see no reasonable objection to the idea in principle, only that it might
consume more time than it is worth.

One possible way of doing this would be to post a Dot story simply asking for
comments on what people want to see it publish. It might turn into a lot of
noise, but that could then be filtered by people on this list. Or by a
"working group" of people who try to form some consensus on a wiki page.

And I'm going to stop there. I'm starting to seem like this argument is my
life ;-) It's not something I'm particularly concerned about... I'm just
interested in finding ways of opening up the KDE decision making process to
the community.

Regards,
Tom