List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Volunteer offer for LinuxworldExpo in Ffm
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-10-16 14:58:38

On Saturday 16 October 2004 16:42, Mirco Schmidt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I read the posting on kde.news that there are still volunteer's
> needed for different promo Events in Germany. I'm coming from Ffm and so I
> would like to help to promote KDE on LinuxWorldExpo in Frankfurt.

Cool.

It is unfortunate that this year I cant come and help (I ran out
of vacation days).

> Something about myself:
>
> I study Mediainformatics in Friedberg near Ffm, born in 1978 I
> use linux since SuSE 5.3, and since Woody I prefer Debian. I use and maintain
> several Machines running Debian/Sid and KDE-3.3.
>
> I have a car and could over three to five machines for the days
> in Ffm, but I have only three Screen's two 17" CRT's and one 17" TFT.

What are the technical spec for these?

I don't know how many KDE people will be there -- but have you eaver
heard of NX/FreeNX? One could easily have 2 or 3 machines running in
a "corner" (without screens attached) and access them via NX/FreeNX
from smaller, older hardware or laptops with good performance, using
them as "KDE application servers". It is very easy to install 2
different versions of KDE (like "latest stable" and "HEAD") on the
NX servers and demo them side by side in different windows from
the hardware used at the demo point itself....

> Not to forget, I'm a native german, sorry for my bad english.

There is also a separate mailing list for promoting KDE in German
speaking countries. Hmmm... can't find the correct address right
now.

Torsten is in charge of organizing it.

Thanks for offering your help! I hope you have a lot of fun with
it too  ;-)

Cheers,
Kurt