List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: QT Apps on KDE-Apps.org
From:       Fabrice Mous <fabricemous () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-09 20:52:03

On Friday 09 July 2004 12:55, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 02:06:12PM +0000, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> > it was discussed on kde-promo that it is a good promotion for KDE to
> > list also pure QT apps.
>
> (ok, moving to kde-promo)
>
> That's a shame.. while I support the freedom of kde-apps/look to make its
> own decisions on this matter, kde-promo should be serving KDE's interests,
> not TrollTech's.

How does that relate? I mean discussion it on kde-promo was merely meant as a
convenient place to discuss. As a sidenote ..  I think kde-promo was serving
KDE's interests with this decision.

> Qt applications are not taking advantage of the KDE framework and
> integration with the desktop will likely be limited to a shared widget
> style. Listing them hurts KDE for the following reasons:
>
> - Users will be confused or annoyed with the suboptimal integration and
> consistency within KDE due to these applications. Different icons,
> dialogs, shortcuts, phrases.. by listing these applications we're truly
> trampling on the primary goal of KDE.
> - Developers are not given an incentive to adopt the KDE framework if we
> treat Qt applications with the same respect as KDE ones. (In the past)
> GNOME has made this mistake regarding GTK+ applications and I don't feel
> it's worth repeating.

I don't like your reasons as you try to decide what's best for others.

> Perhaps it's time to revive the "KDE quality seal" discussion. There must
> be some way to define the line between "KDE application" and "Qt
> application"..

There exists an entry at kde-apps.org which states the type of application but
I don't see any problems in creating a "KDE quality seal". Feel free to do
so.

> Does this matter? That depends. If you feel the KDE framework is an
> improvement over pure Qt, it matters a lot. If you feel KDE offers no
> benefits over Qt, then no, it doesn't matter, but then we should ask
> ourselves why we're still working on KDE in the first place.

situation a OR situation b  .. there is no other situation?

I feel that listing pure Qt apps are an extra incentive to choose for the KDE
platform. I feel it clearly makes a difference for the KDE desktop with Qt
applications like Scribus, Skype, QCad, Julius Framework, Jahshaka, Opera.

Ciao

Fab

--
www.kde.nl | fabrice@kde.nl | www.kde.org