List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: QT Apps on KDE-Apps.org
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2004-07-09 10:55:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 02:06:12PM +0000, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> it was discussed on kde-promo that it is a good promotion for KDE to list
> also pure QT apps.

(ok, moving to kde-promo)

That's a shame.. while I support the freedom of kde-apps/look to make its
own decisions on this matter, kde-promo should be serving KDE's interests,
not TrollTech's.

Qt applications are not taking advantage of the KDE framework and
integration with the desktop will likely be limited to a shared widget
style. Listing them hurts KDE for the following reasons:

- Users will be confused or annoyed with the suboptimal integration and
  consistency within KDE due to these applications. Different icons,
  dialogs, shortcuts, phrases.. by listing these applications we're truly
  trampling on the primary goal of KDE.
- Developers are not given an incentive to adopt the KDE framework if we
  treat Qt applications with the same respect as KDE ones. (In the past)
  GNOME has made this mistake regarding GTK+ applications and I don't feel
  it's worth repeating.

Perhaps it's time to revive the "KDE quality seal" discussion. There must be
some way to define the line between "KDE application" and "Qt application"..

Does this matter? That depends. If you feel the KDE framework is an
improvement over pure Qt, it matters a lot. If you feel KDE offers no
benefits over Qt, then no, it doesn't matter, but then we should ask
ourselves why we're still working on KDE in the first place.

Rob
--=20
Rob Kaper     | "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had
cap@capsi.com | better learn baseball" -- Jacques Barzun