List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: YaST GPL'ed
From:       Martin Konold <martin.konold () erfrakon ! de>
Date:       2004-03-23 7:32:32

Am Dienstag, 23. März 2004 06:14 schrieb Datschge:

Hi,

> Hm, to be honest I don't know yet either. I didn't use SuSE since the pre
> YaST2 days anymore. On the promo list Scott Wheeler wrote following:
>
> "Actually I don't know if you've ever looked at the code, but it's \
> written in a weird meta-style so that it can be used with different GUIs. \
> One of those just happens to be a Qt frontend."

Well, there is a konsole GUI based on ncurses and an X11 GUI based on Qt. \
YaST  modules are written in an interpreted language and then depending on \
the  environment (X11 or no X11) the proper GUI is chosen at runtime.

> Reading a couple of resources about it YaST mostly seems to access one
> unified central configuration file where all available settings are \
> stored

This is plain wrong! YaST2 uses LSB conforming individual files
in /etc/sysconfig/

On my SUSE 9.0 Laptop I get:

kepler:~ # find /etc/sysconfig/ | wc -l
    140

> and then calls suseconf which then handles the work of comparing and
> applying the changes to individual configurations files, creating \
> scriptes etc. I suppose we will find out more when the source is \
> publically released.

The source of YaST2 is available since the very beginning. Simply check \
your  nearest mirror e.g.

ftp://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.0/suse/src

shows 81 Y2 source packages.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold@erfrakon.de