List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Re: Interview request
From:       Fabrice Mous <fabricemous () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-20 20:45:42

On Friday 19 March 2004 17:48, Tom Chance wrote:
> I've got my first round of answers from CT Leung, who runs a computer lab
> in a high school running LTSP with KDE. I'm considering some followup
> questions, so if anyone on this list can think of any good ones, please
> post them so I can include them in my next e-mail.

Hi Tom,

Nice ...

> The original article about his lab can be found here:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7418

Nice article . Shows very much the power of Linux ...

> [...]
> old server (An Athlon 1.2G Hz with 1.5G RAM, 40G IDE hard drive).
> KDE runs quite slow and in fact, with a bigger class, students
> who started late might take several minutes before KDE can be
> loaded.
>
> 4) Do you make use of any of the KDE Edu software, and is there any
> educational software in particular that you think KDE would benefit from?
>
> I use the shell a lot and in fact, I push all my students to learn some
> basic Linux commands and some simple shell programming in text mode.
> Other than programming languages such as C, C++, Java, the shell, I
> also teach students the three main packages Writer, Calc, and Impress
> in Open Offices. I have never tried any other education packages in KDE
> other than the aboove mentioned.
>

> 5) Is there any software you'd like to see in KDE related to the LTSP?
>
> If there is something similar to MS Access, I think it will be a killer.
> mysql is great for undergraduates but might be too difficult for
> beginners.
>
> I remember the Corel Linux has a network neighbourhood browser pretty
> much the same as the one in winodws. It would be great if we can have
> something similar in KDE.
>
> 6) You mention in part two of your piece that you had to revert to IceWM
> on your old terminal server. What made you switch back to KDE/GNOME once
> you had upgraded the hardware?
>
> The IceWM is quick but the KDE/GNOME has much more features that makes
> it a better window environment than windows. In order to attract windows
> users to switch to open source, KDE/GNOME are much more convincing.
>

> 7) Back when I was at school, we all used to hack BASIC on Acorns, until
> they migrated to Windows. Do you find students discovering the shell and
> hacking with Bash, Python or other languages more now?
>
> Absolutely. Once stduents find out there are much more behind the "click
> drag, and drop", they start to see the "big picture" and many motivated
> students enjoy the shell and other languages available on Linux.
>
> In fact, many former graduates told me that they are way ahead than
> students from other schools as they know much more on Linux/Unix.
>
> 8) Have you thought about promoting, or do you already promote,
> technologies like PyKDE and KDevelop to students?
>
> Those are the things I am going to learn and promote in the future.
> I am 57 and close to retirement, but until I die, I see promoting Open
> Source, promoting Linux as my life-long career.
>
> Thank you for having me in your interview and feel free to ask if
> you need me again.
>
> CT Leung
> Teacher at Sisler High School
> Instructor at University of Winnipeg
>
> > 9) In part one of your piece you mention that, to you, an important
> > element of Free Software is that you are "free to join the community to
> > improve it". Have you considered getting students involved in the
> > projects whose software they use, and in particular in KDE?

No answer here ?

Tom .. I should try to emphasize some more the cost effective side of choosing
the combi Linux/KDE. Right at question #3 you already talk about shortcomings
of the setup while I haven't read the benefits yet of using the Linux/KDE
combo. Also I would dub that KDE/*NIX or so. Or maybe KGX ..

So a question like:

"Do you feel KDE/LINUX (KGX) is a cost effective platform"

or even better

"What do you think are the benefits of choosing the KDE/Linux (KGX) combo"

*more questions you could use*

(1) What do you consider the biggest barrier when schools decide to use Linux
on their desktop?

(2) What would motivate schools to move to KDE/Linux on the desktop?

(3) What are the typical cost savings when using KDE in an educational
environment?

(4) How much effort is it to maintain a KDE/Linux desktop through LTSP?

Fab

--
JID: fab@vosberg.be
www.kde.nl | fabrice@kde.nl