List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Interview/Story
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-03-19 2:06:40

On Thursday 18 March 2004 06:45, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> ;-)
>
> Thanks, George! You made my day! I just won a bet I made with
> a friend of mine.....
>
> The background is this:
>
> I was arguing with my friend about the need to put <irony> tags
> in online communication if irony is in the game. He denied it,
> saying that most sane people would understand it without smilies
> <irony> tags etc. I said that it is very often even not understood
> if it is very obvious, and even not if the posting person is well
> known, and that in the 3rd round of exchange someone then starts
> to insult the other party by calling him "stupid", a "Nazi" or
> liking him to Hitler.

   I think it was inappropriate to test this theory on a public list like
this.  It's also unfortunate that you picked someone who was still awake at
05:00 and short of patience for these games.

> You made me win because....
>
> ...the irony of my initial reply was very obvious,

   I think "irony" is the wrong word here btw.  Not sure..

> ...I am well known in the KDE community,
> ...you are in my estimation a very sane person
> ...and you, in your 3rd post, still called me "imbecile"
> (I admit I had to look it up at http://dict.leo.org/
>
> ;-P
>
> I invite you to share the bottle with me when you come to Stuttgart
> for "aKademy" (see http://events.kde.org/info/conference2004/ ).   ;-)

   Unfortunately I will not be there.  I'm travelling in the other direction
then. ;)

> > 4) Scope grows so large that developer*s* are hired to work on this KDE
> > application over 2-4 years.
>
> That's very interesting indeed! Why don't you yourself write about
> it then? Do you have personal contacts? Do you think this makes a
> good topic for one of the "aKademy" events? Could you write me in
> private about this?

   I am one of the developers. :-)  I think it would be much more credible for
someone else to do it.  I can also  answer a couple questions if needed since
I did much of the reworking over the past year.

> > you have some
> > things to learn about promotion.
>
> Sorry George, that you have been the "victim" of my bet. (That is no irony
> now, I really feel bad for having fooled you.) Maybe I should not have
> tried to win it on looking for the first occasion on *this* list. I admit
> it was an unnecessary provocation (because I *knew*, in advance, that 95%
> of people wouldn't understand irony without the obvious markup)

   Agreed.  Honestly I must admit I thought you might be drunk or something.

> > The view I portrayed above is not even the whole story of Kst, just a
> > small snapshot.
>
> But you will admit for sure that your dark hints in your first posting
> doesn't give *anybody* a chance to conclude these facts or the scope of
> that story.
>
> I can understand if you don't want to reveal the full story in advance
> on a public list while it must still be researched and written up. Here
> is a serious advice:

  I don't mind sharing information - it's a very public project.  I just
wanted to -save- time writing details.  Instead I ended up writing 5 long
email now.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/