List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE promo & quality teams
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-02-29 23:41:21

Hello,

After talking with Carlos Leonhard Woelz about my article on the Quality Teams
Project, I came to think about how the KDE Project handles press as a whole.
At the moment it seems to be rather ad hoc, with people simply doing what
they feel is best, to the best of their abilities, a situation that I think
could be improved. And now the Quality Teams will of course start taking on
some press roles.

I'm going to be writing some guides on press work, covering areas like press
releases, writing articles, getting work into [online|paper] magazines,
handling interviews, etc. This should not only improve the quality and volume
of attention KDE gets in the press, but hopefully people will enjoy learning
more about working in the press.

Since the Quality Team members who work on promotion will probably end up
subscribing to this list, would it not be a good idea to:

- expand upon the current contacts page on the web site to include details of
"press officers" in different quality teams (correlating with modules)
- try to formalise and improve interaction with the press across the KDE
Project somewhat through education and policies, to simply get KDE better
press coverage

All major organisations have press centers / press networks... maybe KDE
should have one too?

Apologies if any or all of this e-mail is redundant!

Tom