List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Quality Team implementation
From:       Tom Chance <tomchance () gmx ! net>
Date:       2004-01-05 18:50:49

On Monday 05 January 2004 18:58, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> The other problem with your project will be to keep the janitors.
> Generally, the secondary tasks in KDE (well I don't find them secondary)
> translation, promotion, journalism have a very high turnover. Wannabe KDE
> developers start to volunteer to translate, report, etc... to learn how the
> project functions and when they know enough of C++ and QT leave for the
> noble developing jobs. It is hard to keep a stable core of people to
> accumulate knowledge and train the newbies.

If I may step in with an answer, I think the Quality Team scheme might open
KDE to a group of people that have previously only come forward in small
numbers. I'm certain, both from a conviction about KDE users generally, and
also because I know some people like this, that people will come forward who
would like to do documentation, talk to users for developers and vice versa,
and do the other tasks asked of Quality Team members, and who wouldn't want
to go on to be developers.

Perhaps when the scheme raises the status of these "secondary" tasks and
formalises them within the KDE Project, we will find more people coming
forward to do them for longer.

Tom