List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [KDE Styles] Re: [kde-promo] stories to work on
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-27 15:05:17

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 19:33, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 December 2003 07:25, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > On Monday 22 December 2003 10:43, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > > KDE 3.2 previews:
> > >
> > > http://www.pycs.net/lateral/stories/12.html
> > > http://www.francesc.net/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=29&blogId=1
> > >
> > > Btw, overwhelmingly I'm seeing these reviews praise Plastik to high
> > > heavens.
> >
> > Yes, Plastik is really great, if you work 10 hours a day with KDE - much
> > better than kermamik. Plastik is a very clean and easy still - still not
> > boring. I am only concerned because Plastik looks very much like Windows
> > XP (window decoration, button highlighting, etc).
>
> hrm... the window deco isn't loading here, and i've never actually used it.
> but as for the widget style, i personally don't find it overly XP-ish. in
> some of its tastefully understated looks there are similar directions in
> XP's default look, but perhaps that's just because it's one of those "good
> directions" that crop up often.

I am not too familiar with XP... but here is a screenshot of the window
decoration:
http://www.basyskom.de/downloads/plastik-windowdecoration-detail.png

> i'm fine with Keramik myself (i'm using it on this machine =), but i also
> realize that it's probably a good idea to communicate progress in the
> desktop through "progress" (aka changes ;) in the look of things.
> obviously, randomly changing the look and feel of things from release to
> release is not a good strategy, but when KDE4 development begins (which at
> most is likely two releases away) we may well wish to change the default
> style. at that point perhaps we can look at making Plastik the default?
>
> what _would_ a change from Kermik to Plastik communicate, exactly? a more
> subdued and "buttoned down" desktop? something more "mature" and less
> "youthful exuberance"? a high class orchestral chamber vs a high class
> nightclub?

I'd see it as a shift of focus from the home user playing around to the
business user which needs a clean and uncluttered work space.

I'd like to suggest the following in order to address both user groups: Move
the plastik style from kdeartwork to kdelibs (most distros don't install
kdeartwork). Create a new option in kpersonalizer named "daily work" which
preselects plastik and maybe some other usefull stuff (e.g. no blinking icons
at application startup).

> just thinking out loud here ....
>
> > A nice thing is also thinkeramik, though it definitly has too many GUI
>
> thinkeramik looks like a frankenstein experiment and has way too many XP
> influences, IMHO...

Yes, you are probably right. What I like about thinkeramik is the way menus
are drawn. The darker space where the icons are located and the flat bar over
the selected item is very nice.

Greetings,
eva