List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Commercial product shipping KDevelop!
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2003-12-17 17:09:50

George Staikos wrote:

[ ... ]

> > I spoke to the GUI development team while in Korea (not about KDevelop but
> > about the device).  It uses Qt Free Edition / X11, not Qt Embedded (and I
> > note on the page you link it states the SDK uses "Tiny-X"), to avoid $3
> > per-device royalties - this makes using Qt on embedded devices very
> > competitive for low-cost devices (though in this case the device is not
> > low-cost - about $750).
>
> This is what I originally thought, but more digging on their website led me
> to several places that said Qt Embedded.  It also looked like that based on
> the screenshots (which is what confused me enough to reread the page in the
> first place).

Well this was a big topic of conversation - we spent a good 5 minutes talking
about this choice.  At least for the Samsung device I saw . . . .  And in fact I
was speaking with Young Jin Seo, who posted in response to my Dot post at
http://dot.kde.org/1071649348/1071663248/1071673283/ (he actually is the CEO,
not just a team member), and he did not contradict that point . . . . But you
can email him to confirm at yjseo AT mizi DOT com .

Ciao,

Dre