List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: [Mono-list] Novell, SuSE, Mono.
From:       Bo Thorsen <bo () sonofthor ! dk>
Date:       2003-11-10 8:55:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 07 November 2003 15:55, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2003 9:41 am, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > Quoting Mark Bucciarelli <mark@easymailings.com>:
> > > On Friday 07 November 2003 9:16 am, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > > Is part of KDE under LGPL?
> >
> > Yes, as David mentioned kdelibs (the only part that matters from the
> > KDE side) is under the LGPL, but Qt is under the GPL / QPL mostly
> > meaning that to take advantage of the LGPL-ed-ness of kdelibs
> > requires a commercial license for Qt.
> >
> > (In reality I don't percieve this as being a large problem, but it's
> > one of Miguel's favorite anti-KDE points.  Any reasonable manager
> > should be familiar with how to do a basic cost analysis of two
> > options in real costs.)
>
> Isn't another pro-GNOME licensing point that the GNOME foundation owns
> the copyright to the GNOME code?  Don't you have to sign something that
> gives your copyright to the foundation?
>
> I know wxWindows just created a foundation and is having all developers
> sign their copyrights over.
>
> I'm not sure how much of a weakness this really is.  If someone was
> pitching FUD and scaring a large enterprise away from KDE, maybe a
> factor.  Also, just because someone signed a letter doesn't mean they
> have not donated code they wrote while at work.  In any case, there's
> not much anyone can do about this.

The only reason this could be a good thing is if the license were to
change.

For example, imagine that we changed KMail to be a big build-a-mail-client
library and the new KMail to be a frontend of that. We might then want to
change the KMail lib license to LGPL.

Currently this is impossible, because I bet you there will be code there
licensed by someone we can't reach anymore.

This isn't a theoretical problem - look up the usage of bochs in XFree86
on their mailing lists, and you'll see.

Not having this, you are sure your GPL code will stay GPL.

Bo.