List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Novell comments on the future of KDE in SuSE
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2003-11-06 14:48:17

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 1:00 am, George Staikos wrote:

> Is there anything we can or should do to respond to this announcement?

Take a lesson in how having a corporate face to GNOME (Ximian) has helped
their promotion in the U.S.?  Then put that learning to work to guide our
promo activities here in the U.S.

If folks here are wringing their hands, many other not so closely connected to
KDE are having doubts as well.  I know I did.

One possible way to reassure users is to have all active KDE developers add
their name to a letter (like you see in the NY Times), and then put that out
as a press release from KDE e.V.  The point being that KDE, like all free
software, is bigger than any company, and will continue as long as people are
willing to work on it.

This could be organized by December to coincide with the 3.2 release.  If
there are corporate names that go on the letter, so much the better.  Perhaps
Lindows and Apple would add their company names.

But most importantly, keep closing those 3.2 bugs ... :)

Regards,

Mark