List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] the Redhat hooplah
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-09-15 1:09:24

On Thursday 11 September 2003 19:25, Navindra Umanee wrote:

> This is great news and a first for Red Hat!  Perhaps we should write
> an article congratulating Red Hat for this move...  might be wise to
> wait for the final release and see.  It would be good PR all around.

Probably not a bad idea, but lets check with a couple of people there to see
what their reaction to such is.  It may be that Redhat doesn't really want to
come off as supporting KDE overtly.  Let's also wait until the final
version.  :-)

> Why is Klipper not in the systray?  I think KDE should remove the
> option of launching Klipper as an applet as it really belongs in the
> systray.

Don't know -- and don't care really.

> Also, why does Konsole have that ridiculous unannotated toolbar in the
> default setting?  "Text alongside Icon" should really be on by default
> for that one.  Personally, I also think it looks much better at the
> bottom by default.  I'm a bit surprised they chose a transparent
> background, though it's certainly better than all-white.
>
> The clock could be made to look better too, I guess.  It seems a bit
> bare.  The GNOME one looks good.

These are pretty subjective and I don't think it's really up to us on that
one.  Since well, as you can see our default is a bit ugly at the moment, I
don't think it makes much sense for us to lecture them on aesthetics.  I
think it's fair to say that they're not trying to make it ugly...  ;-)

The transparent konsole was from me -- mostly just showing the background.
Other than that all was default.

> > http://ktown.kde.org/~wheeler/kde-default
>
> Whoa.  Those are the KDE defaults now?  Needs quite a bit of polish
> and refinement, IMHO.

> -)

> What does the Printer button launch in Kicker?  KPrinter?

Ah, another good catch and a reasonable candidate for the "preferred apps"
thing.

I'll try to catch one of their guys on IRC tomorrow and mention some of this
stuff.

- -Scott (who needs to use his laptop soon, so probably reinstalling tonight)

- --
The three chief virtues of a programmer are: laziness, impatience and hubris.
- --Larry Wall