List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] LSB adopting GTK?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2003-07-18 23:20:04

Matthias Kretz wrote:

> On Thursday July 17 2003 21:15, George Staikos wrote:
> > Anyways, here is their status:
> >
> > http://www.linuxbase.org/futures/candidates/index.html
>
> Did you see the reason for them to block Qt:
> Qt is licensed under the QPL. While the QPL meets the Open Source Definition
> it contains clauses that would prevent use in commercial software which
> violates our license criteria.

It's actually a bogus criteria.  As long as a lot of software is using it, who
cares if proprietary software can use it?  I can see the point if one has to
make an exclusive choice but with the toolkits that is not necessary.

And from a practical viewpoint TT could easily enough allow commercial programs
(if the developer has the license) to link to the GPL version (they might add an
exception to the GPL license for this) so that the same library is available on
all systems.

The advantage to developers is that they can be assured a specific version of Qt
is available (e.g. if Qt 3.1 makes it into the standard then you develop to Qt
3.1 and your app should work on all LSB-compliant systems).

On the downside if there is no LSB standard then how do developers know what to
develop to?

I don't see the downside to LSB of including Qt but I see a lot of benefits to
Linux.  In terms of being a pressure tactic to get TT to LGPL Qt I don't think
this will do it.

Ciao,

Dre