List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE CVS Developers Edition of Knoppix (Knopdex)
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2003-06-25 13:05:39

Le Mercredi 25 Juin 2003 05:05, James Michael Greenhalgh a écrit :

I think your work is great and I've set some spare space on my new laptop
hardisk to install your packages. As you said in, your message, your \
package  are a very valuable tool for translators and in general for the \
larger  community of KDE fellows who would like to participate but have not \
the time  or the knowledge to compile from scratch KDE. I see no reason not \
to do more  publicity around your work.

I think a good addition to your package would be to have a custom KSplash \
with  an explicit label that people are booting an unstable development \
version of  KDE. Then nobody could be burnt unaware.

On a more broad scope, I think the KDE project should adopt a 3 floors
approach for releases :
- The bleeding edge CVS for the KDE Fellows and fans
- The regular releases for home users and desktop oriented distributions
- The last release of a major version, for example KDE 3.1.4 would be \
renamed  KDE 3 Gold to explain that the release manager believes that is a \
release  with the least bugs and the most polished for a certain set of \
features. The  "Gold" releases would be aimed at corporate desktop who \
don't want to upgrade  their software more than once a year. It is just a \
marketing trick but my  experience talking with IT professionnals is that \
they are afraid of the  avalanche of releases of the KDE project and they \
need some kind of guidance.

Cheers,
Charles
--