List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Improving promotion - Re: [kde-promo] KDE Promotional Discs and
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-05-12 12:17:21

On Monday 12 May 2003 13:42, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
(...)
> In any case we need more documents for the KDE CD:
>
> - explaining the idea of open source
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
and IMHO this:

  - explaining the idea of Free Software
  - explaining the differences and the common things in
    "Open Source" and "Free Software"

Note: If we do NOT explain these we will cause more problems then help
      people understand: some might get the impression that Open Source
      means the same as Free Software.
      No need to become fanatic about these but IMHO we should be _clear_
      here and not use one term when we think of another term...

Also IMO we should consider using a few of RMS's texts here: perhaps they
serve good to make clear what Free Software is and what Open Source is.

Even if I am not his biggest friend (hard to take somebody seriously who
asks you to use the right words but at the same time insists in using
the term "X Windows" on his pages and in his texts - *knowing* that the
creators of X11 do /not/ want people to call it "X Windows") - ok, so
even if I am not RMS's biggest friend, I am still sure he made some
pretty texts when he explained the importance of Free Software and its
being not the same as Open Source.

> - giving short demos of how to use the CD (like a demo tour)
> - example documents, so that people can try the tools (e.g. koffice
> documents, free music, free pictures etc.)

when it comes to talk about KOffice documents I suggest to not forget to
include a nice little KPresenter sample: many office people like such. :-)

> - how to administrate Knoppix (e.g. my father had a low screen resolution
> preconfigured and was very irritated by the fact, that there was no
> information about how to change it)
> - a list of little features here and there that are just helpful (maybe
> this can be taken from the tips database of kandalf)
>
> Also the workflow itself isn't perfect yet, configurations need to be
> optimized wrt to the installed software on the CD.
>
> We also are in great need of these things for trade shows. And we could
> also publish this on promo/events.kde.org. I think, this is really,
> really important stuff!

Fully ACK.

As soon as my stress is over (whenever that might be) I will contribute,
until then a few 'wannabe wise' mails is all I can do.  ;-)

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>