List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Knoppix, KDE
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-05-12 9:23:43

On Monday 12 May 2003 09:37, Richard Stallman wrote:
> You don't support compromises (at least this is the impression you
> create in my mind), at least not here.
>
> I make compromises every day, but I must not compromise in a way
> that gives people the wrong idea of the goal.
>
> Convincing people to adopt GNU/Linux is good, all else being equal.
> But thousands of people are doing that.  IBM is doing that.  I'm
> trying to do something more unusual: help people remember the goal of
> freedom.
>
> To achieve any goal, the most important thing is to remember the goal.
> The goal of freedom is half-forgotten in our community and becoming
> more so.  Our community is full of people who believe that goal is
> merely to make a system that is "very useful" and don't treat freedom
> as very important.

Richard, I am not sure if you really read my mail carefully.

While it was me who brought up the term "very useful" in this thread I
also made absolutely clear that, YES, having it "Entirely Free" _is_
an important goal as well!

But, to repeat myself, it is not the prio #1 goal.

The prio #1 goal is making it Very Useful.

> If we let ourselves drift with them
(...)

> -)  No need to drift with me - but also no need to misunderstand me.  :-)

Karl-Heinz
--
 "For every complex problem there is an
  answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."  H. L. Mencken, 1880 - 1956