List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Discussion on LDAP-directory
From:       "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas () kompas-media ! nl>
Date:       2003-05-11 13:26:10

Hello everyone,
Didn't we just finish a discussion on whether or not to create an
address database? Restarting this argument is a bit beside the point
since it's up and running now.
On the issue of privacy: journalists, by merit of their profession, are
public figures and shouldn't mind that their business contact
information is publicly available online. I for one would actually
encourage people to list my name in directories. All the more ways to
get contacted for stories, that's what we make a living from. Private
addresses are a whole different story, and luckily the issue is totally
irrelevant. We don't need private addresses of journalists, so we don't
collect or publish them. Simple as that. It just so happens to be that
many freelance journalists have the same business contact info as they
do privately, but that is by their own choice so they shouldn't complain
if it gets collected and published in a directory.
I support this initiative to gather media contacts centrally, but
nobody's forcing you to like it. If you don't like it, don't use it.
We've had that argument before and that's why there are now also files
in kde cvs and you're not forced to use those either.

Good job Mark!

regards,

Bas