List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] [OT] Exchange in Texas Legislature
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2003-05-11 6:11:26

Cut and paste from http://www.eff-austin.org/ ...

SB1579, the Texas Senate bill that encourages state agencies to
consider Open Source software.

Even after dilution, the bill was still drawing criticism from
proprietary software interests. Here's a great snippet from Carona's
exchange with Mario Correa of the Business Software Alliance:

Correa: That's no longer... that's correct. But the point that I'm
trying to make is, essentially what you've done is to isolate one
particular development of software for further investigation,
assuming that there isn't something already being considered or the
State has already undertaken. What makes our industry nervous is not
that you study any particular type but rather that you select one
under a presupposition of cost savings or not cost savings for that
matter.

Carona: Well, if you'll read the language again, we have already
presupposed that proprietary software will exist and will be what's
purchased. This simply says shall we consider any other alternatives?
That means specifically...

I don't... Again, I don't understand why you all are so threatened by
this, but from a careful look at the lobbyists in this room that are
representing Microsoft, and all of you here representing proprietary
software companies which -- let's face it, that's where the big money
is, it's not in Open Source it's in proprietary -- it's rather
transparent as to why you all feel so threatened by this language.
And I'll tell you, this [bill] is innocuous, but next session I'll be
on a crusade.

Mark

P.S. It might be an interested paper to document what's going in the
state legislatures.  I know Oregon had theirs shot down by the
speaker of the house.  Maybe there are others.