List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Knoppix, KDE
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2003-05-11 4:10:53

On Saturday 10 May 2003 8:44 pm, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Sunday 11 May 2003 1:57, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > I guess www.affero.org is a better fit.
>
> Well, not really.  First, there's still no mechanism -- whether or
> not we get donations -- to hire people in KDE (nor am I suggesting
> that it should).

So, say want to:

(1) locate a font designer who understands, uses and appreciates free
software,

(2) setup a donation box for a adding Greek characters to the
Bitstream fonts, and

(3) prime the pump with a $50 donation;

is there a better on-line place to do this?

> As far as I know, Affero is a means of collection donations.

Right, looks like Aron Seigo (guess, based on the alias "aseigo")
collected $5 for KDE e.V. in February 2003.
(http://svcs.affero.net/user-history.php?u=aseigo).

Woo hoo!  :)

> Second, one of the guys from Affero wrote into this list to promote
> their service and it wasn't particularly well received.  Look back
> in the archives to see what I'm talking about.

I saw only one response, and it seemed like a knee jerk reaction to
emails that came across as a sales pitch (which they were!).

FYI, here's post Henri Poole made on debian-knoppix list this month
about affero:

	We are working on enabling payments to individuals (as
	well as formal orgs). We support multiparty paylists. What
	do you have in mind for your full set of requirements?

Sounds like they are open to suggestions.

Regards,

Mark