List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Knoppix, KDE
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-05-10 18:25:10

On Saturday 10 May 2003 19:14, Richard Stallman wrote:
> let me propose one little modification to your text please.
>
> I think the words I wrote express what I mean to say.
> Simply to be "different" from Knoppix is not the point.
> The point is to solve a problem in Knoppix: the presence,
> in the distribution, of some non-free programs.
>
> Merely being different from Knoppix is not a virtue.
> Being entirely free software is a virtue.

I understand what you mean, and I agree that being entirely
free IS a virtue.

But of course there are many different virtues in this world,
such as another one: Being very usable!   ;-)

I personally will always postpone the quest for "Complete Freedom"
when it comes to the critical question of "Real Usefulness".

Eva's mail showed that we _have_ such a situation here, and I agree
to here when she writes
> > > "IMHO this also makes it necessary to include acrobat"

See, we here have a necessity  -  and necessities have prio #1.
                    ^^^^^^^^^

Necessities must be met first, next comes the 'nice to have' things.

We surely all agree that it would be really NICE to have it entirely
free  -  but we (hopefully) also agree that _first_ we must sure that
it is Really Useful.

Otherwise we would not talk about real world but about some nice
ideas and whished how an ideal world /should/ be...  something I
don't have the time for, maybe other so.  :D

Karl-Heinz
--
 "For every complex problem there is an
  answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."  H. L. Mencken, 1880 - 1956