List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo]  Open Source in Government Conference in Paris, Nov
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-05-07 20:11:03

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 14:22, Charles de Miramon wrote:

> I thought of giving a presentation on those topics :
>
> 1) What is KDE and where we are going
>
> 2) Why KDE is good for your governmental organization
> (free, cool, powerfull, light client, Groupware functionalities, Open
> Standards, etc...)
>
> 3) How governmental organizations already helped KDE
> - The South-African translation project
> - Kroupware
>
> 4) How your governmental organization can help :
> (Money, money...we want your fat subsidy)

Other things I would include:

*) Why Open Source is a better value.

*) In Europe -- I would think even more so in France -- how Open Source
affords possibilities for local labor (i.e. in France) and creating jobs
within the French economy.  Basically how Open Source can be a French
product.

*) The "progressiveness" of Open Source -- again, in countries where
applicable.  i.e. Being among a "progressive" group of nations embracing an
alternative to a potentially illegal monopoly.  (Again, appealing to the
stereotype that the French like to think of themselves as progressive.)

I think it's important to gauge your audience.  There are things that I would
say giving a talk to a public sector audience in Europe that I wouldn't use
in the US.

Also for example if I'm talking to a group of conservative businessmen I'm
going to play buzzword bingo with them and mention things like "return on
investment" and "total cost of ownership", whereas if I'm talking to a group
of leftist students I'm going emphasize freedom from hegemonic companies by
way of a grass roots movement and some of the effects of not having a vital
piece of present and future culture stipulated by those with purely financial
interests.

(Please note that I'm not trying to make a political statement with this; just
providing some semi-concrete examples.)

Cheers,

- -Scott

- --
There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer
shelf life.
- --Frank Zappa