List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Address database for press contacts
From:       "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas () kompas-media ! nl>
Date:       2003-04-22 17:03:37

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 18:30, Daniel Molkentin wrote:

> Hi  all!
>
> On Tuesday 22 April 2003 18:01, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > Like the old Foreigner song says, "the damage is done."  After a
> > couple years on the list, and writing the stuff on people.kde.org,
> > Tink is gonzo from the kdepromo list.
> >
> > It would be so easy to post a flame right now.  I'm pretty pissed off.
>
> We keep getting stuck in pointless discussions about real minor things,
> therefore I propose a rather pragmatic solution: I will prepared two CSV
> files and a README which I will commit to the kdepromo module shortly:
>
> business.csv (Business Contacts)
> press.csv      (Press Contacts)
>
> I think this is really enough for now. Alternatively we just use 2 kabc
> compatible VCard resources. Just tell me what you prefer.
>
> Though I agree that a LDAP Server is a neat idea, I think that can really wait
> until KDE or a related promotional body has established a suitable
> infrastructure. I will wait for some feedback, then I will commit.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Go ahead Daniel! It's always good to have choice and you're right about
LDAP being a bit over the top for now. I very strongly believe we
(well.. just me for now) should keep these two in sync as much as
possible though to make for an easy transition to LDAP later on because
I think the time that flat files become unwieldy will inevitably come.
We'd better be prepared.

What's the point of maintaining a full blown LDAP server from the
beginning? The way I see it, keeping an LDAP server synced in parallel
to flat files offers two things: choice and a secure and smooth upgrade
path.

The application to control the LDAP server will have time to mature and
grow together with our needs. Gentle evolution is always better than a
sudden change. The app will be more stable when its time gradually comes
to take over and through practical use we will have ironed out any
missing features that may surface. Also with the data mostly in sync,
the transition will be practically painless.

Kind regards,

Bas

Bas v.d. Wiel
Kompas Media