List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo]
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2003-04-16 4:51:31

On Tuesday April 15, 2003 07:18, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:43:59PM +0100, Chris Howells wrote:
> > I suppose a better method would be to have the form data inserted into
> > a MySQL database
>
> and this is where my generic "persons related to kde" database strikes
> in.

I don't think there's a need to keep this data in such a database.  I'm
perfectly willing to update this stuff by hand.  If I have to I'll write a
little KDE map-generator UI to help me manage it.

> > Somehow though you'd have to get a mechanism in to decide who should
> > be included and who shouldn't
>
> this would be covered by the database as well. there would be
> "occupation flags" like "coder", "translator", "doc-writer", "promoter"
> (subcathegory "official press contact"), "bug-reporter" (provided it is
> decided that integrating this makes sense at all), etc.  this status can
> be ANDed with the presence of a cvs-account. based on this info several
> maps could be generated (what about the idea of zooming certain regions?
> i'm sure neil is full of enthusiasm to implement it :)).

I actually am looking forward to this.  I'm thinking it's best to reset the
mpa and start over gathering the data.  This time we will gather more
details to allow for more maps as you describe.  I figure we need one big
world map, a zoom for each continent, and a world map for each category,
and a zoom for each continent.

> not that this would make setting the status of "outsiders" properly any
> simpler, but at least the "obviously authorized" persons would be "in"
> automatically if they care to set their coordinates.
> as for the addition of outsiders to the database ... as one of my main
> ideas behind this database was helping organizing physical meetings
> (call it promo, if you like ;), people with a "justified interest" (like
> "want to drive to linuxtag and have free seats in the car" ;)) should be
> allowed "in".

This is the reason I'd prefer to avoid more convenient of a database than
is necessary.  Once data gets into a DB, people always find more uses for
it.  I'm not comfortable with mixing the map with this other purpose.  I'm
concerned that if we do add a checkbox:

[] I authorize my data to be given out to people with an "authorized
interest."

we might scare people from participating. I think this map is useful.  It
makes the kind of point Navindra was trying to make before.  I'd rather
not lose participants and diminish the impact of the map by mixing it with
other purposes.

- --
Neil Stevens - neil@qualityassistant.com
"The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which the
sheep thanks the shepherd as a liberator, while the wolf denounces him
for the same act as the destroyer of liberty." -- Abraham Lincoln