List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde] [kde-promo] Re:  Re:  Re:  Re:  Re: WSJ Strikeout and
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2003-04-11 22:19:33

Neil Stevens wrote:

> > > This is true, but does require us to have already convinced the
> > > technical managers.  Swaying the "lazy journalists" gets us nowhere on
> > > that front.
> >
> > And you can make that statement based on . . . what exactly?
>
> Will you please explain to me how KDE benefits from some fickle company
> deciding to install KDE when all its technical people are ignorant of or
> even hostile to KDE?

Not sure how one gets from "swaying the 'lazy journalists' gets us nowhere" to
what you wrote above - typical "Neil Logic" I guess ;-).

> Do you really think we're going to get useful contributions from such a
> place?

Sure - the more market share, the more developers.  The more users, the more
chances someone will want to contribute more.

> We're not Microsoft.  We don't gain *anything* because some company decides
> to use KDE.

Speak for yourself.  *You* don't gain anything, and you want to make sure nobody
else does too, it seems.

> Market share wins us nothing.  Only active volunteers keep
> this development effort alive.  Microsoft does well with gaining users
> because those users send money, which is what keeps the company going.
> With KDE, though, anything that doesn't get work done doesn't help.

Exactly, and if 0 people were using KDE, exactly how many would be improving
it?  And if everybody in the world used KDE, how many would be improving it?
More of them?  I bet even "Neil Logic" can figure that out ;-).

> I'm repeating myself, but it obviously bears repeating: KDE is not a
> business.  Choose your PR efforts accordingly.

I'm sure everyone will choose their efforts unencumbered by your "Neil Logic"
;-).

Ciao,

Dre