List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE or Gnome ?
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2003-03-09 11:48:13

Le Vendredi 7 Mars 2003 23:32, Oliver Strutynski a écrit :
> On Friday 07 March 2003 16:43, Philippe Fremy wrote:
> > By the way, the multiple language support of KDE is joke too. Despite a
> > very good python binding for Qt, I don't know of any PyQt app, except \
> > the one I wrote. And I don't know about any other Qt or KDE application
> > written in a language that is not C++, to my regret.
>
> A quick search on apps.kde.com turned up
>
> Quickrip: http://www.tomchance.uklinux.net/projects/quickrip.shtml and
> PySP: http://pysp.progoth.com/

I think Python and QT (or KDE) shines for applications for a niche market
comparable to VB Basic where you want to combine a database backend and a
quickly developped frontend. Look :
Kura : http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/linguistics/ (for linguistic \
research) Auto-Retail : http://auto-auction.sourceforge.net/ (for \
administration of an  auto-retail business).

The Pykde mailing list is very active and there is a small but growing
communituy of developpers. I think that most are developping in-house
programs (for example for Scientific purposes) or commercial applications.
They are some general programs written in python and KDE like Desktopdig \
and  Eric the Python IDE, but my guess is that Python and KDE will fill the \
same  market that VB has for Windows. If there is some kind of integration \
between  Zope backends and PyQT frontend, it could also be a competitor to \
                Java and
.Net.

C++ and Python are not really competitors in KDE ; they aim at different \
tasks  and are quite complementary.

Cheers,
Charles
--