List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Promoting of projects
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-06 17:04:20

Hi Sven,

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 12:37, Sven Lüppken wrote:
> Both projects already have been approved by SourceForge and work will begin
> in a few weeks. So far to the introduction, why do I mail you?

this is a great idea and I wish you much success with your project. Now, what
you propose is to do marketing for your project. About that I 'd like to give
some recommendations before you approach any institutions:

You should have a program with basic features before approaching anyboady,
mainly because
- there exist a lot of great project plans on sourceforge which never took off
- office people don't read source code, they want to see something ;-)

Furthermore you should be clear about what support you expect. Don't expect,
that the institutions find a out themselves how to support you.
About money: KDE has contacts to BSI, etc. Therefore we know, that money is
quite difficult, because official instituations are low on money (esp. in
Germany) and they cannot just give money to anybody. Usually they need a
company for that, which writes a project plan, etc.

> I also mailed Andreas Pour who wanted to help me but finally pointed me to
> you, because I need a letterhead for the letters I have to write as well as
> some (KDE) businesscards.

Well, do you want to promote KDE or your app? If you go for KDE, you should
also include other people's apps from kde-edu. Furthermore you should
consider to develop in KDE CVS. Otherwise you'd be realted to KDE, but not
exactly part of the project. I don't think it's good to use a KDE letterhead
then.

> I hope you can help me, thanks in advance.

I hope that helped ;-)

Have fun,
eva