List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Demo CDs for Sale
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-14 16:12:38

Hi,

as discussed in the thread on Trophees du libre, also the German team \
already  started a discussion on selling DemoCDs, mostly inspired by the \
very good  KnoppixKDE-beta.
Kurt Pfeifle got some prices and convinced me, that 1000 CDs isn't too much \
 (thank you, Kurt ;-) The price is 600€ for 1000 CDs with 4-color-printed \
 lable, 500 CDs are at 500€. It would be great if the League could help \
us  with that.
We want to sell the CDs at a price of 3-5 €. The first expo would be \
CeBit,  the world's largest IT expo. Our idea is to visit other companie's \
booths and  to run demos on their computers and sell them our CDs ;-) Of \
course very  important persons would get a free copy.

Now about the CD:
We (Kurt and i) were impressed by the recent KnoppixKDE beta. But of course \
it  can be made even better ;-) Here are my notes:
Besides the english and the german translation we maybe also should include \
 french and spanish, depending on the space maybe also spanish. BTW, maybe \
the  country shouldn't be USA, but changed to "C default".
Also we'd like to have OpenOffice on the CD. The reason is, that it doesn't \
 make much sense to show KDE alone, but usually people want to see wether \
this  KDE/Linux thing is usable as a workplace. Therefore you need to show \
a very  good working office suite. Unfortunately koffice is far from being \
comparable  :-(
Also we should include some utility software which makes the CD valuable \
for  trouble-shooting.
Ralf brought up another valid point: Knoppix is based on various systems, \
like  debian woody, debian unstable and even RedHat. If people install \
knoppix on  their HD (which is possible), they are not able to do security \
updates... can  we do anything about this? Though I think, we should \
definitly focus on the  promo aspect of the CD.

Looking forward to your feedback,
eva