List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] rfbproxy (how to make a movie) How-To
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-02-06 20:15:25

rfbproxy (how to make a movie) How-To

This is a how-to for recording a movie using rfbproxy. Unlike vnc2swf the
recorded movies are not in flash format, but can be played using rfbproxy.
This is useful for presentations at trade shows (you can display the movie in
fullscreen) and to voice dub a flash movie - record it using rfbproxy, then
create a mp3 with the voice for the movie and use vnc2swf to create the flash
file.

If you already followed the vnc2swf how-to, you can skip the steps 1-3.

1. Install vncserver
Install vncserver, which is hopefully part of your distribution. Suse calls
the package "vnc". Otherwise get it from www.tightvnc.com. Try to find rpms as
compilation is not trivial (vncserver is actually a XFree 3.3.x fork with a
special VNC graphics driver).

2. Change vncserver startup script
If you have never used vncserver before, start it using

        vncserver :10

It will ask you for a password and create create its configuration directory
in $HOME/.vnc (this is the only purpose of this exercise). Then shut it down
using

        vncserver -kill :10

Now edit the file $HOME/.vnc/xstartup to start kde instead of twm. Usually the
following should be enough:

#!/bin/sh
startkde&

3. Start vncserver
Now start vncserver for the first time with KDE:

        vncserver -geometry 800x600 :10

800x600 is the resolution, you can use any other resolution. :10 is the
display number. Every other display number under 100 is fine, I just took 10
to avoid a conflict with Desktop Sharing servers. (Like X11 vnc uses the
display number for the port of the server, displaynumber+5900=port)

You should now be able to connect to your server using

        krdc -h :10

or

        vncviewer :10

(-h tells krdc that it is a fast connection, it is like selecting "high
quality" in the dialog)

4. Install rfbproxy
Get rfbproxy from http://cyberelk.net/tim/data/rfbproxy/stable/

Compile and install:
        make
        su
        make install

5. Start recording

Run rfbproxy:
	rfbproxy --record --server=:10 :11 test.rfb

> 10 is the server to connect to, :11 is the port number that you need to
connect to. test.rfb is the name of the file to save the movie to.
Now start recording by connecting with the client to the proxy:

	krdc -h :11

Note: you *must* use -h. At least here it did not work with the TightVNC
encoding that is used without -h.
Everything that you do will be recorded by rfbproxy. rfbproxy stops recording
when you close the client.

6. Playback

Run rfbproxy:
	rfbproxy --playback --loop :11 test.rfb

> 11 is the server that you need to connect to with a client to watch the
movie. --loop is the loop mode, and test.rfb the name of the file to play
(you can also specify several files).

The connect with the client to te proxy:
	krdc -h :11

It will play the movie. If you want fullscreen, switch krdc to fullscreen and
hide the toolbar (left button).

7. Converting to vnc2swf

If you have installed vnc2swf (see the other how-to) you can easily create a
Flash (swf) file from the recorded movie. You can also use it to add a mp3
soundtrack that you have recorded after creating the movie:

Start playback
	rfbproxy -p :11 test.rfb

Start recording the swf
	vnc2swf -framerate 15 -dumpfile test.swf :11

Ok, now comes the ugly part: you must close the vnc2swf window before the
rfbproxy movie ended. Otherwise vnc2swf will not save the test.swf file.

8. Stop the vncserver

If you are finished with recording or want to restart the server, kill it
using

        vncserver -kill :10