List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: [Important] When talking about Aegypten or Kroupware on fairs or to the press,...
From:       Marc Mutz <mutz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-03 22:29:38

[v2: the first one apparently didn't make it through (and doesn't need
to)]

On Saturday 01 February 2003 05:24, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Tim Jansen wrote:
> > On Friday 31 January 2003 23:26, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > > Funding a Free Software project is not part of a free market?
> >
> > Depending on your point-of-view you could also say that funding a
> > free software project is subsidizing it, because you could also get
> > it for free... (even if it is not written yet, but sooner or later
> > somebody else will fund it)
>
> Purchasing proprietary software is, in that view, also subsidizing
> the proprietary software vendor.  Funding Open Source is subsidizing
> some competition.  Since the government has apent many many years
> subsidizing the proprietary software, I think the stronger argument
> is that it is *anti-competitive* *not* to fund free software, as its
> competitor has already been quite heavily funded.

The difference to make here is that, normally, the government is
required to send out a public invitation to tender for the particular
task at hand and then choose between the bids according to price and
trustworthiness of the bidding party. So, in theory, every competitor
has the same chances to get the contract, so the tendering procedure
ensures that the government doesn't favour one competitor over the
other. Again, that's in theory, of course.

OTOH, funding or sponsoring means giving money to a project without
competitive tendering procedures (or at least raises the chance of this
misunderstanding). IOW, the government decides where the money goes and
not the competitiors by themselves through mutual competition. In this
sense, it's an interference with the free market, b/c the government
misuses it's monopoly to foster a particular technology or development
model.

Regardless of how desireable governmental funding of Free Software is
and although _we_ agree that we see software as part of the
infrastructure of modern society just as roads are and thus the
government has not only the right, but the mandate to care for it.
Regardless of that, it's (currently) not the way things are supposed to
work according to law.

The Aegypten project was done "properly", ie. with an open call for
tenders. That the Aegypten consortium won the bid is just a
"coincidence". AFAIK, the call didn't include the requirement to
integrate the result into the original Free Software project, and it
didn't even mandate using KMail!

It basically was "write us an Sphinx-enabling extension of a popular
Free Software mail client that can run on Linux".

It was definitely not "let's fund KMail/KDE". It was not "let's support
Free Software". They did it b/c they want to use Linux on their
desktops and a Sphinx compatible MUA was missing. They don't use it b/c
it's Free Software (at least not primarily), but because they see a
benefit _for themselves_. They can look inside and go and hire someone
to change it to their need, probably. Probably b/c it's cheaper. Or
because it creates more German jobs than Microsoft products would.
Whatever.

With Kroupware, it's a little different - and better for KDE. The call
was closed to a certain set of people and companies, and it mandated
KMail and KDE and it _required_ that the result be merged back into the
mainline development. But that is also a risk, b/c it comes close to
what is still legally allowed in Germany. So if we want the BSI and
other Governmental agencies to keep "funding" KDE and it's parts or
indeed Free Software generally, we should take care to not speak
lightly of "funding", but always explain that the "funding" was based
on proper (public or restricted) calls for tenders and that the
Aegypten and Kroupware consortiums properly won the bids.

In addition, esp. Intevation tends to care about the fact that Aegypten
could have never happened and that just as well the German government
could use a modified KMail which would never see the light of KDE CVS
again[1]. And IMO (speaking as a KDE developer and apart from the fact
that I'm currently employed by Intevation), they (and g10code and KDAB
as well) should _really_ get the fame of having made sure that
KMail/KDE gets back those governmental improvements and of having
"helped" the BSI a tiny bit to write better (for Free Software
projects) requirements.

I hope to have made my/our point clearer.

Marc

[1] Or of which we didn't even know a thing, b/c who of us watches the
call for tenders of his government, not even speaking of their outcome?

--
It's one thing to accept a risk to your own data, but quite another to
standardize on something that imposes that risk on others, no matter