List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: [Important] When talking about Aegypten or Kroupware  on fairs orto the press,..
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-01 8:40:54

Hi Andreas,

thanks for making things a bit clearer for me /but/ please excuse me for
insisting to take things a bit more serious that you propose:

On Friday 31 January 2003 22:33, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think this may be a translation issue.  In English, there is no such
> difference.
>
> In English, governments "fund" things.  For example, they fund highway
> construction.  Nobody thinks this means, they pay a contractor whether the
> job is done or not.  Everyone knows there are contracts involved and
> payment is made only when the job is completed, subject of course to
> progress payments.
(...)

This explanation was very good, I now understand there is a difference
between the American and the German maening of these words...

> So let's not get religious about this and annoy CNet.  I think
> they did a great story and I don't think their reward should be
> getting "corrected".

1. While I fully agree to you that CNet should not be 'annoyed' by us
   muttering about such things I _still_ propose to make the terms of
   our contract clear to them:

   This can be done in polite words - we just want to explain the facts
   - we do NOT AT ALL want to blame anybody.

2. Perhaps that sounds a bit silly(?) but in contrary to your opinion
   I propose this:

       So let us get religious about this!

   Why do I think so?
   Very easy:

       Making clear that the government gave us a _job_ to do and
       making clear that the government made NO sponsorship of any kind
       is extremely important!

***  Government wanted a solution for with their heterogenous network.  ***

***  So they contracted us to provide that solution.  ***

***  For reasons this solution is based on/consists of Free Software.  ***

***  It being Free Software is a detail, similiar like it being C or C++  ***

again: The government did NOT say: Let us support Free Software,
       but they sayed clearly: "Let's get a good solution for our network"!

IMO Insisting in making this difference clear does not mean accusing anybody
but it means avoiding a dangerous misunderstanding - and that's why IMHO we
/should/ get religious about this issue.

Besides from that I would like to say:
Thanks for your patience with an over-exact German!  ;-)

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>