List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Knoppix with KDE 3.1
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2003-01-29 19:44:46

Laurent Rathle wrote:

> I've nearly finished to make Knoppix with KDE 3.1. Problems are :
>
> knewsticker-scripts that needs some perl scripts that I can't have (apt-cache
> show find nothing)
> libarts1-xine does'nt install
> kpovmodeler wich has a problem with glut3 (I can't find it)
> kpilot wich has problem with libksock4-dev wich is not installable
> kspy wich has problem with kdelibs4-dev wich has dependencies problem
>
> I didn't install :
>
> libkscan-dev
> kdegraphics-dev
> kdepim-dev
> kbabel-dev
>
> I supposed dev packages are not mandatory on a demo cd
>
> I've installed koffice-i18n-fr but I can install other langages if needed
>
> I want to add some other programs like gwenview, kbear,kile that could be
> interesting.
>
> What should I remove ? I guess Gnome (not mandatory on a KDE demo cd :-)). But
> what else ? Emacs, Xemacs ? If you have some ideas,, you're welcome.
>
> I want to reshape the K menu wich I find ugly.
>
> After that, everything should bbe ok, I hope.

Please re-configure it so that it starts the CUPS daemon from boot-time.
(KNOPPIX-original needs a separate start of cupsd after login.)

It is soooo cool if you can show a user who just booted his not-printing
Win2K laptop (which he spent 2 days to configure all kinds of stuff) how
KDE-Knoppix is up and running within 3 minutes, and how he can print without
installing a single "driver".  [This is a real-life story, and the only
glitch was that I had to manually start cupsd...]  Having cupsd running also
gets rid of an ugly error message popping up when you start kprinter (or
click on a print button) without cupsd.

I hope your kdelibs are compiled against libcups?

I can foresee a few very successful promo-demos on enterprise level with
this single feature enabled..

Thanks for the work you put in. It is an excellent promo-initiative. (BTW,
KNOPPIX in and of itself was and is already a very good KDE promo -- it
boots into KDE by default. Thanks to Klaus Knopper and his brillian work,
and thanks to everyone supporting him!)

> Have a nice day,

Cheers,
Kurt