List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] publicity chance: We may have our own article on LinuxGuru.net.
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-10-25 18:50:17

Hi all,                      ( Reply-to set to kde-promo@mail.kde.org )

there is another nice publicity chance for KDE now:

Reacting on my comments to a linuxguru.net article that was erroneously
stating that a KMail user could start a windows *.exe virus (attached
to a mail) by clicking on it and having it run by WINE *without* having
been warned, David (djm) one of the linuxguru editors offered me to
publish our _own_ article covering these topics.

He wrote:

  "Write your own article on the subject of the vulnurability
   of Linux users to infections via cross-platform virii."

Since the erroneous article (called "WINE: A new place for KLEZ to play")
did *not* cover a cross-platform virus but an ordinary windows virus
we IMHO should cover both topics in our text:

* Vulnerability by having windows virusses executed via WINE.
* Vulnerability by cross-platform virusses.

Of course this article can be a big chance for KDE to present
our nice interfaces in little screenshots and to mention the
fine fact that KDE users are _warned_ before an attachment is
opened via WINE and so on... and so on...

Unfortunately :-( my time must be spend on the Kroupware project now
so I cannot affort writing this interesting article myself.

Who of you can do that?

It would be a shame if we couldn't use this chance to get some
more free publicity on KDE -- even more since the previous article
mentioning these false things even made it to slashdot.

Cheers
Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz@kde.org>