List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Giga Group: KDE predominant OS desktop
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2002-03-31 19:45:50

> An interesting quote from
> http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=701&a=24737,00.asp:

Actually, its:
<http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=701&a=24737,00.asp>

> But Giga Information Group analyst Stacey Quandt, in Santa Clara, Calif.,
> said that the impact of the browser's release would probably be limited to
> people already using the Gnome desktop environment and other Netscape
> products [...]
>
> "I doubt many of those people already using the Opera browser and the
> Konquerer browser found in KDE, which is the predominant open source desktop
> environment, will find anything compelling enough in Mozilla 1.0 to shift
> across," she said.

Well, this is one analyst's unsupported assertion. It's a nice demonstration of how \
KDE's mindshare has improved tremendously in the last couple of years but I wouldn't \
take it as more than that.

The quote reminds me, though, of a point that badly needs to be made clearer to both \
users and journalists: the choice of desktop, be it KDE, Gnome or anything else, does \
not force you to use only KDE or Gnome apps. Users should understand that they can \
use KDE or Gnome with Mozilla or Konqueror, Kmail or Evolution, Ksirc or X-chat.