List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] today's Gnossip
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobacon_lists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-25 10:40:51

On Monday 25 February 2002 8:40 am, Chris Howells wrote:
> > From: Navindra Umanee <navindra@cs.mcgill.ca>
> >
> > On the flip size, there has been quite an increase in trolls on
> > dot.kde.org.  It almost seems like a concerted effort.  Some guy
> > (joe99, who used to troll the dot as dude13 before) is going around
> > plastering a *huge* essay and various other trolls/obscenities about
> > "KDE Myths" on the dot and elsewhere.  At least 4 other individual
> > trollers using various nicks and IPs have been pinpointed.
>
> Well, at the moment we seem to allow anonymous posting of comments to the
> dot. Would it be possible to only allow people that have registered to
> post? This wouldn't help fully, but I'm sure it would help a bit.
>
> > Ironically, joe99's main accusation is that KDE has a propaganda
> > machine, while *we* bitch all day about having no PR. :-)
>
> Hehehe ;)

I think the problem we have had in terms of PR is in the direction we need \
to  take. I am not aware of any formalised PR effort, and maybe this is \
something  that needs attention.

I have not hidden my concerns in some areas of the KDE League (as others
have), but now is the time more than ever when we really need the League -
Andreas is a valuable member of the KDE PR team, but so are Nav, Waldo, \
Chris  and others.

I think what we need is some kind of plan in which we will focus on fully
PR'ing KDE. Things I am thinking of include:

	-	Building promotional materials - some of which Tacket has worked on.

	-	Organising planned seminars and events and online events. We could \
organise  talks and demonstrations of KDE which people could perform \
locally to local  companies.

	-	Publishing talks given by KDE reps at events.

	-	Contact companies regarding KDE support - discuss with charities and
educational establishments how KDE can improve their resource allocation \
and  TCO.

I am more than happy to contribute to these efforts. Although GNOME may \
have  the money from Sun and support from Ximian - I only really see Sun a \
a real  thing to be concerned about - I feel Ximian will go the same way as \
Eazel.

We do need a level of industry support for KDE - I am working on a few
projects at the moment regarding this, but we could do with more - also I
feel business cases and itnerviews published at enterprise.kde.org could do \
 with more exposure. These cases influence others to use KDE.

Finally....let us not forget that people havent used or seen KDE3.0 yet. \
This  adds yet more functionality while we still have a backlog of patches \
for 3.1  building up.

I didn't get involved with KDE to be on the losing side of the desktop
battle...KDE is a better desktop that is easier to use and more functional; \
 the trolls, gnomes and suns cannot take this from us.

	Jono