Hi Mirko, first of all, thank you for the information, also to Andreas, Waldo, Chri= s and=20 Tackat.=20 > > KDE e.V. receives its money primarily in the form of one-time donatio= ns > > either from individuals or companies. There are some companies that > > donate a part of the profit on KDE related articles to KDE e.V. (On t= he > > KDE website it is listed when a company promises to do that I believe= =2E) > > This year KDE e.v. also received some prize money associated with pri= zes > > won by KDE. > > > > Basically KDE e.V. does not have any substantial source of structural > > revenue. Nor is KDE e.V. actively involved in raising funds at the > > moment. As far as I know all donations are initiated by the donor. > > This is true. But keep in mind that there seems to be an agreement that > saying we are open source and begging for money too loud does not seem = to > fit. What kind of agreement is that? What are the details? Also there I see a=20 difference between begging for money and to make it easy to give money by= =20 promoting ways to do so, I am not sure about how you mean this.=20 Right now we often beg for money and support, esp. at events. Like last y= ear=20 at Linuxtag we begged a lot of companies to give/pay us cards for the soc= ial=20 event. Personally I also dislike begging, that is why I am in favour of=20 promoting a common sponsorship and donations of money. > I think there is nothing intransparent here. Everybody KDE contributor = may > become a KDE e.V. member. Everybody member may ask for reimbursements a= nd > will get money if the board majority agrees. > The board is elected and notified to the public. For unfortunate but > understandable reasons, the majority of the board has to focus on other > priorities. That leaves me to keep up the job, but at least we get toge= ther > for voting before money gets spend. > > Is that not transparent? Even what I just said is notified to the publi= c. Well, thank you for the information. It's nowhere on the internet, so it'= s not=20 really transparent to most of the people, esp. not to non-germans. And pl= ease=20 remember that a lot of people joined KDE after the KDE2 meeting and don't= =20 know the full history. Also the amounts of in- and output is not clear. =20 Does KDE e.V. have the status of being "gemeinn=FCtzig" (=3Dof public uti= lity,=20 non-profit)? If so, the money donated by german companies and private peo= ple=20 is tax free, so that you get back some of the taxes you payed. And if som= eone=20 is doing anything for an e.V. that is of public utilitly and has costs li= ke=20 travel costs etc, he/she can also receive a receipt of donation and thus=20 reduce taxes. There are a lot of options with such a status. Another thing are "F=F6rdermitgliedschaften" (sponsor membership), where = one=20 pays an annual membership fee, but isn't a full member.=20 > > > I prefer to see the "official KDE" better organized. > > I fully agree. And I think KDE e.V. is quite appropriate. IMHO, by stil= l > working after quite a number of people are forced to put their time in > other projects, it proved that it is of use. This seems to be quite a big problem - Andreas is doing all work for KDE=20 League alone and you for KDE e.V. But not only Linus doesn't scale well, = we=20 all don't do.=20 > And I do not see KDE e.V. in the responsibility to do kde-promo work, > sorry.=20 No, of course not, but there are people interested in doing more promo wo= rk=20 and they don't see how the financial framework is made within KDE. Just c= heck=20 the archives of kde-events and kde-promo - the question asked most often = is=20 "I want to organize a booth, how can I get support". > This is what the KDE League was formed for.=20 Well, previous mails already showed, that KDE League has not enough man p= ower=20 too and cannot do as much as could be possible. Greetings, eva=20 > We might pay for > expenses, though, despite that our whole budget is too little for the > marketing world. > > Byebye, > --Mirko. > > _______________________________________________ > This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. > > Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, se= t > digest on or temporarily stop your subscription. _______________________________________________ This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set digest on or temporarily stop your subscription.