List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] FAQ: KDE Promotion
From:       Torsten Rahn <torsten () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-22 15:10:12

KDE-PROMO FAQ

I.) GENERAL

KDE-PROMO
Archive: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-promo&r=1&w=2

KDE-EVENTS
Archive: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-events&r=1&w=2

Here's how to subscribe:

IRC

Server irc.kde.org #kde, #kde-events, #kde-promo

2.) For promotion purposes I need to download some KDE related files. Where do
I get these?

CLIPART

http://www.kde.org/clipart.html
http://www.kde.org/img/logos/kdeshirt_l.jpg

BROCHURES

The latest postscript-version of one of our brochures can be found here

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/brochures/final2706c.zip

Sources are available right here:

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/brochures/

We still have about 3000 printed brochures left. Send an e-mail to
tackat@kde.org if you want to get some of them (The amount of brochures that
you can receive depends on the importance of the purpose, the shipping costs
and on your trustworthiness).

POSTER

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/posters/

Especially we'd like to recommend:

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/posters/kdeposter1.tif
http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/posters/kdeposter2.tif

You might also want to give the wallpaper section on http://www.kde-look.org a
try.

NAMETAGS

http://devel-home.kde.org/~tackat/kdepromo/nametags/

3.) Where do I find merchandising stuff (i.e. KDE t-shirts, stuffed Konqis,
etc.)?

http://www.kde.org/kde-stuff.html

II.) Events

2.) I will have expenses while setting up the booth. Who will pay these?

Generally there do exist two organisations which _might_ do this.
Send an e-mail to one of the contacts listed below. In that e-mail you
have to make a detailed description of the purpose for the money
you are asking for.

A) KDE LEAGUE

The KDE League is a group of industry leaders and KDE developers focused on
facilitating the promotion, distribution, and development of KDE. The League
will focus on promoting the use of the advanced Open Source desktop
alternative by enterprises and individuals and on promoting the development
of KDE software by third-party developers.

Homepage: http://www.kdeleague.org
Contact: Andreas Pour <pour@kde.org>

B) KDE E.V.

KDE e.V. is a non-profit legal entity (a "corporation") that can act in the
interests of KDE as well as maintain a bank account. It was originally
founded as a means for KDE to enter into a legal agreement with Troll Tech
with the FreeQt Foundation. It has since taken on a further role as a place
were donated monies could be accepted and distributed.

See also:
http://www.kde.de/support.php
http://www.kde.org/kde-two/
http://www.kde.de/helping.php
Contact: Mirko Boehm <mirko@kde.org>

3.) I will also have travel/hotel-costs. Who will pay these?

In general the organisations listed above will only pay a limited number of
travels. This has to be decided case by case. Contact the people above to
find out if you can expect to get your travel costs reimbursed.

If the coordinators of an event invite you for a talk then these coordinators
should also reimburse your travel/hotel costs

4.) Where can I get T-Shirts/brochures/etc.

See sections I.2 and I.3 of this document

5.) Where can I get CD's?

Well - on one hand CD's are one of the things people will be very much asking
for. On the other hand it makes basically no sense to print these for various
reasons:

- no recent KDE-release including all binaries for all distributions will fit
on one CD (and that would be the only fair version).
- Creating a decent amount of CD's would cost A LOT. On the other hand one
can't make sure to get rid of all of them (one would have to sell them for a
 certain non-profit-amount - while on the other hand there do exist a lot of
expos where you aren't allowed to sell anything).
- In average KDE-releases are up to date for a period of about 4 months. So
one would have to:
 * create the CD's within that period
 * transfer the CD's to the event
 * sell all of them
That's almost impossible.

So in case visitors at the booth raise the question "Where can I get CD's
including the latest KDE release" the best answer is probably "At the booth
of your favourite distributor" pointing out that all major distributions are
shipping the latest and greatest KDE.

III. THIS FAQ

1.) How can I improve this FAQ?

Send any suggestions to kde-promo@kde.org or to tackat@kde.org directly.