On Saturday 16 February 2002 09:04 pm, Darian Lanx wrote: > > Think of yourself as the editor of a newspaper or magazine, you have a > > deadline at 10 and you are looking for something to fill up that last 2" > > x 2" white spot. > > If they are approaching KDE with that attitude, they are not interested > in anything better than filler text and that is not really what I would > think KDE to want. I remember having seen a number of very short articles about several open source projects (I know there was something about GnuPG) in the computer sections of a number of German newspapers (yes, daily papers). While certainly a long article helps KDE much more that a short notice about a new release, any mention of KDE will make people more aware of that great desktop software that is somewhere out there... And I am pretty sure that does help increase the awareness of average readers for KDE/Open Source. > A press release is something that cannot be printed, > at least not for most magazins, it has to be carefully read, the key > points have to be narrowed down, summarized and then youmight end up > writing a full article or just publishing your summary. filling a last > "2 x 2" spot is most likely going to be something mroe towards what > underware linus prefers. While that is certainly true for most computer magazines, that does not apply for the mainstream (i.e. non-computer) press. Sometimes they might not even have the expertise to write a good article on KDE, so why not give them something they can just narrow down a bit and print it without too many modifications? (And then of course include the full release, with change logs...) > > 3) KDE is developed by people from all around the world. > > I thinkt he thrid point is stale, because that is something everybody > knows allready. There have been numerous articles about KDE, it`s > community and the people behind it. No need to put any effort into this > explaining it over and over again. Again: Think about mainstream press/mainstream readers. The only thing they might know about KDE is that "there is some cool windows replacement", but "it runs on Linux, must be complicated..." Oliver -- _____________________________________________________________________ Oliver Strutynski oliver.strutynski@cs.tum.edu olistrut@gmx.net _______________________________________________ This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set digest on or temporarily stop your subscription.