List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] news.news.com.com
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2002-02-17 23:06:45

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Saturday 16 February 2002 02:15 pm, Tink wrote:
> > I discussed this with Waldo, sometimes there are advantages being
> > married to a KDE developer ;-), he will work things out and will make
> > a proposition for a mainstream press release.
>
> Well, yes. The idea is that the mainstream press isn't interested in whether
> we are using Qt 3.0.1 or Qt 3.0.2 so in order to get some attention there I
> think we should have a press release from a more popular angle that has some
> human interest appeal.
>
> Think of yourself as the editor of a newspaper or magazine, you have a
> deadline at 10 and you are looking for something to fill up that last 2" x 2"
> white spot.
>
> Ok, if you have this mindset try to match that with something that is
> newsworthy about KDE 3. I found that rather hard because KDE 3 is just like
> KDE 2, just somewhat better. Anyway, one of the new things is that we are
> much better able to display languages from all over the world. (All that
> taiwanese spam that you receive now actually looks as it should!) So I think
> a good theme for the press release is something like i18n / global /
> world-wide. (Of course we shouldn't use the term 'i18n' because hardly anyone
> knows what that is.)

Hiya,

This is a good idea, but if I think like this mainstream editor, if I
see something about KDE, first I think, "What is KDE?", b/c frankly most
reporters in the mainstream don't know (at least in the US).  This is
the question that needs to be addressed for the mainstream press, and a
release is just an excuse to do that (reporters don't like to do stories
unless there is an immediacy behind it; otherwise it's investigative
journalism).

So I would suggest making it very short, basically KDE the first
paragraph of our press releases and the About KDE section, with some
customizations.

> Now for the content...  i tried to come up with three things related to this
> theme. Three, because three is the magic number. (That's why politicians say
> "no - new - taxes" or "We will not - can not - and must not do that" and of
> course the famous "Veni-Vidi-Vici" ):
>
> 1) Support from languages from all around the world.
> 2) Internet support allows you to communicate with people all around the
> world. (mention much improved & faster webbrowser)
> 3) KDE is developed by people from all around the world.
>
> And this all should be headed with a catchy title so that people who see it
> think "hey, what's that about?".

Good point.  But, at least in the US, people are not so interested in
internationalization, it's a very inward-looking country, and some other
feature, like *FREE*, is more interesting :-).

> So here are a few suggestions:
>
> "KDE turns Desktop into Gateway to the World"
> "New Software puts the World on your Desktop"
> "New Desktop for Global World"
> "Global World gets Global Desktop"
> "Konquer the World with new Desktop"
> "New Desktop Konquers the World"
> "Global Software for a Global World."

These would make nice headlines :-).

> I think the use of "konquer" is very strong because it is catchy in the sense
> that people might think it is a spelling-error and well.. those tend to stand
> out. In the text itself we should of course explain that "Konqueror" is our
> webbrowser.
>
> The secret to success is then to make sure that all this is folded into an
> easy to read _short_ text. In the About KDE: section at the bottom we should
> mention that KDE is for Linux and other UNIX operating systems but I don't
> think that has a place in the text itself.

We might mention Linux.  In my discussions with "ordinary" people in the
US, a good number have heard of "Linux", far more than "KDE", and hardly
anybody knows what "UNIX" is.

> After all we try to appeal to
> non-unix/linux users and those might be scared away otherwise. People should
> read it, think "Hey, that's nice, i like it" and then discover that it is for
> unix/linux.
>
> A link to the traditional verbose announcement should be included to give
> people an easy way to learn more about KDE3.

Good thinking.

Ciao,

Dre